Wading through the mundane

The thing about this blog is that it keeps me writing. Sure, sometimes pretty poorly. But it's the act of actually sitting down and writing that really matters. With that being said, I am making myself blog today. After coming back from Florida, I am not convinced anything interesting has happened. Summer life continues. It's hot. I can't wait for fall. My garden is hopeless. Work is mundane at best. I bake things. I paint things. blah blah blah.

But another part of this blog is to help me capture the simple joys of life. Life, after all, is made up of lots of little moments of beauty. If we wade through the muck and mundane, we can see it.

Even if I am only writing once a month, it makes me pause and look back at the "mundane" happenings of the previous few weeks. It's here that I realize that there have been lot of great things about August. Imagine that.

1. My friend Denise, her daughter Mackenzie, and I finally made it to Music Theatre Wichita, which is a country renown theatre. Sure, we only saw The Little Mermaid, which is not my favorite story of all time, but it was a fun afternoon. And oh my gosh the costumes were insane. Denise and I are thinking of becoming season ticket holders. Afterwards, we went to Little Lion Ice Cream, which is one of my favorite new ICT spots. I had been there before for their famous breakfast burrito, but this was the first time actually trying their ice cream. It. was. insanely good.

2. Despite my garden gripes (which are plentiful, unlike things in my garden), there have been a few moments of beauty in my garden.

My late-season-purchase hanging basket is finally living its best life too.
I am still very unsure what I am going to do in my garden next year. I haven't been enjoying it. My sister would strongly argue that I take a year off, which sounds great. The thing is, I honestly don't do much and I would want to keep my garden patch covered if it's laying fallow. And honestly that's about the same amount of work as doing stuff (since I only plant a handful of things). I keep trying to entertain the idea of doing more things on my patio. But I would need to do quite a bit of research first, I think. So come April, who knows what will happen. Probably I will get sucked in as usual.

The upside is that the Newton farmer's market (which often looks very sad compared to the ones in Wichita) has actually had a good year this year. A few Saturdays ago I bought all the purple things. It was great.

3.  A few weekends ago, Heidi and I had a "cousin weekend!" Meaning that we hung out on Friday, Saturday and Sunday! It was awesome. On Friday night we had "charcuterie" and watched The Greatest Showman. (I continue to stand by my belief that Zac Efron should only sing and dance and stop trying to make movies where he is not singing or dancing). Saturday, we went to the Hesston pool and then on Sunday we had brunch at Homegrown. I don't know if I say it enough but having Heidi in Kansas with me is seriously one of the best things about being here.
We were both so Millennial and ordered the avo toast

4.  My friend/colleague, Kate, celebrated her 30th birthday at the end of August and had the outside party I always dreamed of attending. They decorated their back yard to the max. It was lovely. We might've all melted in the heat, but it was totally worth it. 

Bonus, the day after Kate's party, Jill, Kate, Bethany and I went out for brunch at, where else, Homegrown. So glorious. 

5.  In work news, our colleague, Erica, decided to move home to Montana and work remotely. While it is sad not to have her around the office, the silver lining was that I got to move into her office. For the past year, I've been in a windowless cubical. While that has worked out fine, the lack of window was really starting to bum me out. So, now I have a space with a window! It's so great. 
It is usually really quite around the office, but I have started making a point of making people a picture whenever someone accidentally wears the same outfit. Everyone humors me, but I think it's hilarious. 

See? These are all good things. Bonus goodness: I've started painting projects again. I am so glad this is a long weekend so I will have plenty of time to bust out the acrylics. 

Happy Labor day weekend everyone! 

Comments