The apple crisp of my dreams



I've been hunting around for a good apple crisp recipe for awhile now. I found a lot of average ones and ones that were "fine." But not "the one."

I finally decided to take things into my own hands and "creative" my own. Creative is used fairly loosely here. It's not like I was going to totally create a recipe from scratch. I don't think I have those super powers yet. So basically, I took the apple recipe from one (King Arthur Flour) and a topping from another (Creations by Kara blog). The best of both of these recipes. I really like the fruit mix from my King Arthur Flour cookbook, but wasn't crazy about the topping (mostly because I want an extreme amount of topping). So I went searching around the internet and found a random blog, which was "eh, fine. But I did appreciate the very "oat forward" topping quantity.

So without further ado, here is my current favorite apple crisp recipe.

Anna's Apple Crisp 

Grease a 8x8 pan and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350.

Apple filling: 
2 pounds of Granny Smith apples
1 oz bourbon (or apple cider)
2 T butter, melted
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 t cinnamon
1/4 nutmeg
3 T flour
1/4 t salt


Streusel topping: 
1 cup oats
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t salt
1/4 cup nuts, optional
1/2 cup of cold butter, cubed

Peal, core and slice apples into 1/4-inch-thick pieces. Place them in a bowl with the reminder of the filling ingredients and stir to combine. Spoon mix into pan.

In a separate bowl combine oats, sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and nuts, if using. Use a pastry cutter, mix until crumbling. (Sometimes, I think it's easier to use my hands). Sprinkle over apples. (If it seems like a lot of topping, it's because it is).

Bake for 45-50 minutes or until its bubbly and a deep, golden brown.


Comments