What I read in 2018

I crushed my 2018 reading goal and read some really great things along the way. I started off the year by making a reading goal via goodreads, which turns out is something I can totally get into in terms of new year resolutions. And it actually helped me read more than the previous year. My goal was 30 books, but I ended up reading 43 books. I feel very proud of this.

Side bar: Not everything I read was a winner i.e. do not ever read "The Good Pilot, Peter Woodhouse. It is on my list and I completely regret not bailing after page 100 like I usually do. That's been my rule, to give a book up until page 100 to be interesting to me or I will bail. Life it too short to make yourself read a book you don't have to be reading. But for some reason I didn't bail on this book. I think probably because it wasn't very long and page 100 was like over half. Anyway. Don't ever read it. But anything else on my 2018 list, I stand by.

Anyway, from that list, here  are some of my favorites from 2018.

What: Sing, Unburied, Sing
Why I loved it: I picked up this book from the "new section" at the library, (which is something I commonly do) in my constant quest to keep seeking out literature by women and/or people of color. I was not disappointed. Turns out, I love books that weave in just enough magic realism to amp up narrative. I found myself really caring for sweet Jojo and his baby sister who were brought into the world by dysfunctional parents, achingly beautiful grandparents and the ghosts of slavery that surrounds them in Mississippi. 


What: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
Why I loved it: A magical bookstore? What's not to love. Okay, it's actually not a magical bookstore but with charming Mr. Penumbra, a mysterious code to crack and the powers of Google, it all seemed magical to me. 

What: Exit West   
Why I loved it: This is another magic realism book; this time about the refugee crisis. The only time the magic comes into play is when the main characters find another open "door" that leads them into a new, safer country. The rest of the story brilliantly highlights life as a refugee, trying to figure out life and relationship all the while having no place to call home.

What: The Underground Railroad
 Why I loved it: Yet another magic realism story. (I promise I read other things). I had heard good things about this book and it lived up to the hype. In this story, the underground railroad is a literal railroad underground which brings escapee Cora and Caesar's journey to a whole new hellish reality. After I read this book, I listened to a NPR Fresh Air interview with the author and learned about actual events that Whitehead weaved into his fictional narrative. (For example, the events of the Tuskegee syphilis experiment , which happened in Alabama until the 1970s! WHAT). Crazy.

What: The Immortalists
Why I loved it: Full disclosure: this book was more sexually graphic than the books I normally read (but really only the first section). This was one of those books where I didn't expect to get carried away. But I read it so fast and found myself thinking of the 4 siblings when I was reading.


What: Everyone's a Aliebn When Ur a Aliebn too
Why I loved it: This is perhaps the first illustrated story I've read as an adult. I read it in one night. I follow Jomny Sun on twitter and found his illustrations to be fun and delighful and a nice break from a typical novel.


What: A Rising Man
Why I loved it: I love a good Agatha Christie novel. (In fact, I am getting really close to accomplishing my goal of reading everything she's ever written). However, the main issue with Ms. Christie is that her novels take place in a very Imperial Britain. There is usually one racist/doctrine of discovery reference that makes me seriously cringe. Why do I bring this up? Well because A Rising Man (and the 2 books that follow) are about a white British detective living in colonial India. However, the author is a British Indian, which means he brings a different voice to these types of detective stories. While there is plenty of British nonsense going around in these books, there are times when the author seamlessly highlights the race disparities that happened during this time. They aren't glossed over. Of course they aren't resolved (after all England was still in the height of the empire) but it's the fact that this time isn't completely idealized like it is in older (whiter) detective stories. It was refreshing. And still a good ole British detective story. I read the 2nd book and am looking forward to reading the next one.

What: Vinegar Girl
Why I loved it: I use the word charming to describe a lot of the books I read. Turns out "charming" is often what I look for in books (especially if I am looking for something "lighter.") This is a very quick read and a, get this, charming retelling of a classic story.

What: Piecing Me Together
Why I loved it: This is one of those books where the chapters are so short that it's easy to convince yourself just to read "one more." Before you know it, it's an hour past when you were planning on turning off the light for the night. I love books that sweep me away. This is one of them (and a great YA novel recommendation from my sister).

What: I'm Still Here
Why I loved it: I had the privilege of working for Austin back in the summer of 2011 when I served as the cook for the DOOR Chicago program.  Since her short time as the director of DOOR Chicago, Austin has gone on to kick some serious butt in the professional world. As a fiction junkie, I try to make space in my like to read at least one nonfiction book. This past year, my choice was easy. I was very much looking forward to hearing Austin's story and being challenged by her work with racial justice. Austin and I haven't stayed in touch, but it has been a delight to see her crush it on the Instagram world. (And have some of my favorite bloggers recommend her book). The world needs more of her writing.

What: Never Let Me Go
Why I loved it: Several summers ago, my family and I stayed at a beach rental in the Outer Banks.  I somehow did not bring more than one book with me on that trip (which was a freak occurrence because I always bring too may books) and finished the book I brought in the early part of the week. Thankfully, we were staying at the home of my literature soulmate. (This is how I met Flavia DeLuce).  There was a small bookcase with so many interesting books. I had just started using Goodreads and added many from that shelf to my digital "to-read" shelf. I continue to be delighted by the list I am still making my way through. This book was one of those books. I don't think I would've picked it up otherwise. It is in the Science Fiction YA genre, which is not something I read. (Science fiction that is). But I am so glad that I followed my literature soulmate's recommendation. This book is heartbreakingly beautiful. It's weird, haunting and kicked me right in the heart (in a good way).

What: The War that Saved My Life
and The War I Finally Won
Why I loved it: I often get youth chapter book recommendations from my educator sister who is very up with the children literature times. These recommendations did not disappoint. In fact, I was really excited when the library finally got the second book in.  Good literature is good literature, no matter who the audience is.

What: Fruit of the Drunken Tree
Why I loved it: The conflict in Colombia is really complicated. I even studied about it in college. So you would think I would have a better understanding, but I don't really. This story takes place in the height of the violence in Colombia. However, the story is told from the point of view of a young girl, who doesn't have a full grasp on what is happening outside her neighborhood. I liked this because it felt like Chula and I were experiencing and learning about what was really going on at the same time. This story is also semi-based on true events, which is NUTS.


What: Us Against You
Why I loved it: Fredrik Backman continues to be one of my all-time favorite writers. I love his prose style. This is the sequel to a book I read last year called Beartown, which was about rape in sports culture. Since this is a continuation, it's pretty gut wrenching but worth the read.
What: On the Bright Side
Why I loved it: Another sequel to a book I read last year. I love the charm of the author/main character Hendrik and it was a joy to spend more time with him. If I ever have to live in a nursing home, I hope I can be a part of the "Old but not dead" club (and maybe keep a snarky, secret diary on the side).
What: The Book of M
Why I loved it: Another genre I don't read a lot of: Post-apocalyptic fiction. But this book is just that. And yes there are so many crazy/weird things that happen in this story. (It also make me aware of why I don't read this genre very often. It make me want to stock pile water and cans of beans). Despite the odd events that take place, I really liked this book. (I thought about it long after I was done reading it). It is sad but in a mesmerizing way and fascinating in a "I wonder what will happen next" kind of way.


Honorable mention:

What: Jane Eyre
Why it's on this list: In 2017, my cousin Heidi and I had an unofficial book club and read Anna Karenina and then had coffee and talked about it. I love talking about literature with her. I told her I am now trying to read one classic or "hard" read once a year and the 2018 book was set to be Jane Eyre. Levent's mom gave me a copy of this book a long time again I put off reading it because I don't love this time period of British literature. But my cousin also loves it and she told me if I read it, she would reread it and then we could get together and chat about it. So I did. It was actually an easier read than I thought it would be. While I didn't love it, I definitely didn't mind reading it. I also really loved how snarky Jane was and could see the threads of feminism running through this old book. I'm glad I finally got around to reading it.

Comments