Illinois adventures


At the end of April, I had to go to Chicago for a work trip. (This is the only time I've ever used "had to" and "Chicago" in the same sentence). Silver lining: these work meetings where in my favorite city in the world. I had a lot of fun showing my Canadian colleagues how to use the cta like champions and generally exploring the city.

I was only gone for about a week but my trip really felt like 3 different ones.

Trip 1: Chicago
I got to Chicago hours before any of my colleagues. So I took the bus from Lincoln Park up to Uptown to visit this beloved coffee shop, Dollop, from Radical Journey orientation days
Deep dish pizza at Lou Malnati's (because I couldn't convince the Canadians otherwise)
We stayed at the Cenacle Retreat Center, which is a Catholic retreat center in Lincoln Park, just blocks from the lake. This was down the street. 
Coffee break at the drawing room at the Chicago Athletic Association 
My Canadian buddy, Jerrad. During our free time, we decided to go on a very cold architecture boat tour.  
Thanks to the less than ideal weather, there was like only a dozen people on the boat total. 
Dinner part 1 at the Girl and Goat. The food was unreal I could've cried. This was grilled pork belly with green sauce and a blackberry-mungbean salad
goat empanadas with a grilled pineapple-blueberry pico roasted poblano crema and queso freso
"Rums in the family"
Next stop, Red Lion, a British style pub near where we were staying
Dinner, part 2
At one of MCC's partners in Chicago, Circle and Ciphers 
Lunch at another MCC partner in Roger's Park
Team dinner at Revival food hall. If you ever need a downtown food option for a large group, this fancy food court is the place for you.
We also went to see Hamilton

It was even better the second time around. This time, I paid more attention to the dancers. It was magic
Team lunch at Chopo Chicken, a Peruvian place near the retreat center
After our team lunch on Wednesday, I was officially done with my work trip. But I had a few hours to kill before my train left from Union Station. So I walked around Lincoln Park, visiting the Conservatory and the lake front, before heading downtown. 
Pre-train coffee at Artopolis Bakery

Amtrak is pure chaos. But at least Union Station in Chicago has a pretty room

Trip 2: Downstate 

After my work trip, I took the train down to Morton to visit my brother's family and to get a wedding dress from my sister-in-law's bridal store. I was only there for about a day and half, but it was totally worth it.
Lucky the cat was not the best co-worker
At Adore Bridal, they have their customers sign their walls. 
My high school BFF, Kari, also lives in Morton. And so she came along when I tried on my dress. It was so fun having her there. 

Trip 3: Solo trek to and through St. Louis.

I did a brave thing. (Okay, a brave thing for people who have travel anxiety). I decided to take the "planes, trains and automobiles" option to get back to Kansas.

I took the train from Normal to St Louis
I then had several hours to kill before I flew from STL to ICT.
First stop: Catalyst Coffee Bar. A very minimal coffee shop/art gallery not too far from the train station. It also closed way earlier than I wanted it too. 

I then took a decent walk, heading to Planter's House, which just happened to be in one of the neighborhoods where we stayed when Levent's parents were in the ICU at the St Louis University Hospital after their accident. So weird
We stayed in that middle building
Dill fries! 
The weirdest Moscow Mule ever. (It was fine, it just had that giant ice ball on it)
After killing as much time as I felt like I could at Planter's House, I headed back to the Amtrak station, where I had paid for them to hold my bag. 

The St Louis Metro train had a stop right at the train station and I decided to use some of my post-Chicago confidence and just take the train (for like $2) to the airport, instead of taking an Uber (for like $30). And I did it! It was so easy. I was so proud of myself. I still am.

That was April. And now it's basically June. You know how it goes.

Comments