A weekend away


Levent turned 30 this past May. (I know. He was still in his 20s. What a baby. ;) Throughout our whole relationship, there has never been any doubt that I love birthdays way more than he does. Usually his birthday celebrations are just a home cooked meal and a gift (that I feel 0% confident about because Levent is the hardest person to buy things for). Since he was turning the big 3-0 (ha) this year, I suggested that maybe we do something special, like go camping.

Okay, I am not a camper. It's not my thing. However, for this man, I give it a go every couple of years. The problem is that we own like zero camping things. After extensive googling, I found this charming yurt on Airbnb.   A little north of Lawrence, this was the ideal solution to our camping plan. It was off grid and isolated (things Levent likes), but it had all the things we needed without having to bring very much stuff and it had a very nice outhouse (things I appreciate).

We started our mini-vacation by having dinner at Culinaria, a Mediterranean restaurant.

After dinner, we walked around some old residential streets in Lawrence before heading out to the Yurt.

If you think Kansas isn't full of surprises, you'd be wrong. This area of Kansas is so hilly! Driving out to the Yurt felt like we were out east somewhere.

It was suppose to be stormy that weekend but we lucked out big time. It was lovely! And the night cooled off perfectly (otherwise we would've been super hot in that yurt. It is mainly for colder weather).  We spent most of the evening outside, chilling by the fire. It was so relaxing.
In the morning, we made a Turkish breakfast, walked around the property on a small trail (and scared a young buck), before packing up and heading out. 

(We stopped to get coffee at Alchemy Coffee and Bake House on our way out of town, which I highly recommend).

It was nice to get away for a little bit and to spend time together that wasn't focused on wedding planning. I continue to be grateful for this peaceful soul who continues to fill my life with wonderful moments.

Comments