July recap


Oh hello. I have a blog.

In all the wedding whirlwind stuff I basically gave up blogging as a bad job. But since I really enjoy using this formate to record my life, I figured I would still go back in time and talk about July.

Here were the July highlights (that really helped me not focus on wedding stuff solely)

Highlight 1: Georgia O'Keeffe

Well, this was actually at the end of June, but this is worth mentioning. I went to see the Georgia O'Keeffe art exhibition at the Wichita Art Museum, on the very last day of the show. Being so stressed out with wedding stuff motivated me to take a quiet afternoon to go look at the art created by and for this powerhouse. (The Exhibition included not only some of her paintings but a lot of the clothes she had designed for her as well as many photographs). I am so glad I went. I felt so inspired.
Highlight 2: Lake Street Dive

The thing about living in the middle of nowhere is that bands one loves only comes to Wichita on random nights of the week, if they come at all. I love Lake Street Dive and was so pumped they were coming to Wichita, until I realized they were playing on a Tuesday night. Outside. In July. I don't know if you've picked this up yet or not, but outside in July is not where I want to be in Kansas. So I didn't think about going to the concert again until the week before the event. My colleague and friend Kate also loves them and decided just to buy two tickets in the hopes of finding someone to go with. She asked me to go and I decided not to be a party pooper and actually go. 

It was a very memorial experience. For one thing, it was held at Wave, which is a new outdoor venue in Wichita with bangin nachos. Yum yum yum. 
Secondly, the concert kept getting delayed because it kept storming. The concert was suppose to start at 7. But the opening acts kept getting pushed back. And when they finally got their shot, it was a short set because lightening kept popping up. We all got caught in a down pour and went back into the indoor area, which was way too small of the amount of people there. But, after tons of waiting, Lake Street Dive set up a little bit of equipment and played a very small set for us cramped inside at 10:30. (On a school night). They were so good. For sure it would've been better to hear them play their whole set properly micophoned but this was nice too. 

Highlight 3: The 4th of July

I am not a fan of nationalism or the combination of alcohol and easy access to explosives. (Being from a State where you can't buy fireworks means I am annually floored at the amount of things exploding all around me in Kansas. Seriously, it's alarming).  But, I am a fan of a day off. That plus the fact that Levent's brother Blake came to Kansas for a wedding meant that we got to spend the holiday with him. Levent and I don't usually get to spend minor holidays with family. So it was really fun to cook for them and go on a fireworks walk by the creek. (I also made homemade butter pecan ice cream, which we turned into ice cream sandwiches).

The following day both Levent and I had to work, but I did take time off to go have a long lunch with Blake at Homegrown. I regret nothing.

 Blake had to leave on Saturday, but we did have a nice brunch with him before he left. (And I made these killer biscuits because I am the best).
 I am not mad that June and July are over and done with for 2019, but it is nice to pause and remember the highlights. Plus, my hostas bloomed, which means they survived their third transplant just fine. Way to go, girls.

Comments