2019 in books

I smashed my 2019 reading goal again. I read 54 books instead of my goal of 40. Some were great, some were magic, some were terrible and I should've just abandoned them. Here are some of my "wins" for 2019.

1. She Would be King

I didn't realize until a few years ago that there was a genre of fiction called "magic realism." Turns out that is one of my favorite kinds of books to read. She Would be King integrated magic into the slave narrative, which completely flips the script on the power dynamics. I also did not know very much about Liberia's history and found the story very engaging. 

2. Three Things About Elsie

I read a book by this author in 2018 and really liked it. So I gave Three Things about Elsie a look, since this was the book Joanna Cannon is better known for. It's pretty clear from the get-go that the main character Florence is an unreliable narrator. Usually unreliable narrators are devious in some way. But Florence's unreliability is linked with maybe dimension. So what is real and what is not is mixed. I wanted her voice to be heard, whether or not all her stories were true.

3. The Astonishing Color of After

My cousin April is a school librarian. She recommended this  YA book to me, even without knowing my love of magic realism. Grief plus magic creates a lot of beautiful and heartbreaking intrigued.

4. Destination Unknown

I had the goal to read everything Agatha Christie ever wrote (i.e. her fiction that she wrote under her actual name). In 2019, I achieved that goal, a little over 10 years after I decided to do this. Of course I could've reached that goal a lot faster but I didn't want them to be over too soon. I will miss having the newness of these stories in my life. (Don't worry, I am sure I will reread some of them). This book, while not in my top 10 favorite Christie novels, was my favorite one I read this year.

5. The Matchmaker's List

I love a good rom-com, on the screen on a page. I think books like this get the unfortunate wrap of "chick lit," which often means a romance novel that's light and "fluffy" and not serious literature that is for women. Come on. Just because love is involved, doesn't mean it's just for women. I liked this novel because it was an enjoyable read. I also been enjoying reading more "rom-com" novels written by women of color. 

6. The Other Americans

I poured through this book. It was one of those stories where I cannot describe exactly why I liked it. Not helpful, I know, but when this happens I often chuck it up to really great writing. I was totally taken in by this story. This novel was also a National Book award finalist. 

7. How the Light Gets In

This book highlight is more about the series rather than this book. My Canadian colleague recommended the Chief Inspector Gamache series to me awhile ago. I tried out the first book and thought it was fine. But I gave it another chance and am glad I did. There are parts of these books that don't culturally stand up very well. But that aside, I enjoy a good detective story, especially since my Agatha Christie reading days were numbered. This is my favorite book in the series so far. (But you should note, that unlike Christie these books build off one another. If you try to just read this one you will be so confused).

8. Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree

Written in vignettes, this book took me mere moments to read. It is absolutely heartbreaking, written so beautifully and sheds light on the horrors Boko Harm inflicted on an entire generation in Nigeria.

9. The Widows of Malabar Hill

Another detective novel, but this time written by a woman of color featuring a lawyer/detective who is also a woman of color in 1920s India. I like reading light/detective novels when I travel. I took this book to Virginia this summer when visiting my sister. My initial thought was this book okay. An okay writer and an okay plot. But it unexpectedly sucked me in. I love Perveen and already read the second book in this series. I am really looking forward to book 3. 

10. The Sun and her Flowers

I started reading this book in the summer, looking for poetry for our wedding in August. But I had wanted to read Rupi's work for awhile now. (The wedding just gave me the motivation to do it). People are quick to bag on Rupi's work because it very mainstream. But she is a powerful writer and just because she is popular does not cheapen her voice. It has gotten many people, including myself, reading poetry.

11. Pride and Prejudice 

My cousin Heidi and I read this book as one of our 2019 "We read Anna Karenina, we can do anything" book club. I was actually super against reading it, after having to read it in college. (I joined a novel class late and had to read this book in a weekend in order to catch up). But yet again, this was a required reading that I rediscovered now that my life isn't dictated by a syllabus. I actually told Heidi I was willing to give this book another shot after I read Unmarriagable by Soniah Kamal, which is a Pakistani retelling of P&P. After enjoying that version, I felt ready to give the og another try. I am glad I did. I loved this time around. It is smart and enthralled me right away. I get why people love this book. 

12. The Water Dancer

More magic realism and more fuel to my argument that magic realism is the best. It refuels the slave narrative and fills it with power and dignity. The underground railroad is an absolute force to be reckoned with. And Harriet Tubman has magical powers. What's not to love.


In 2020, I aiming higher than 2019. I hope to read 55 books. I am on track right now; so we'll see what happens.



Comments