Tito

You would have though that just trying to live life in quarantine was stressful enough. But turns out, I thought I would complicate our lives and my anxiety by fostering a puppy. What could go wrong?

Turns out, lots of things.

Little Tito joined our clan about two and a half weeks ago. We knew absolutely nothing about him despite his age (2 months) and that he was a mutt. Thankfully he is the cutest little pup.
Coming home from the shelter for the first time



However, we quickly learned that he has a massive UTI and thus has been peeing non stop. It is slowly getting better but the little fella is still sick. (I am taking him to the shelter vet tomorrow). The constant peeing and working from home has been really stressful. As someone who likes having a clean work place/home, it's been super hard for me to let that go. I also realize how completely impatient I am. Tito is actually quite a smart dog, and is getting the hang of house training. It's just the UTI that messes everything up.

We are also completely exhausted. Since he is little and has a UTI, we have to take him outside about every 3 hours at night. So we take him out at 9pm, 12am, 3am and 6am. It's especially rough on the weekends for adults who have never had to really have anything consistently dictate our sleeping in schedules.

It is slowly getting better, in terms of all the urine and getting into some kind of rhythm. But I find that I will miss my introvert time a lot (aka being able to do whatever I wish on the weekends, even in quarantine times).

And no, Scout and Tito have not figured out how to be around each other. Scout is an absolute diva and is not interested in playing with Tito. Tito, the energetic puppy just really wants to play with her and doesn't understand why she keeps trying to smack him. My guess is that things won't really get better between the two of them until Tito doesn't try to nibble on everything in sight.

Will we end up keeping him? Levent and I talked about that briefly the other night. As tired and anxious as I am, I don't know if I could willingly just take him back to the shelter. Levent is especially good at working with him and it would be hard to let someone else get the benefits of all the work we've been doing to train him. As much as I realized I truly am a cat person, I do like having this little munch monster around even if things are so chaotic right now. I think I will become more of a dog person when Tito goes up a little bit. 

Comments