Back to Virginia

At the beginning of August, I went back to Virginia, but this time with Levent. We were gathering in Harrisonburg with my whole family, something that had not happened since our wedding. (Like literally two years to the day, which was actually the last time I saw my brother's family. ugh covid).

Levent and I weren't able to to stay very long, but we made the most of the time we did have. 

We arrived on Saturday night, before anyone else got there. We spent Sunday brunching with the Bakers at Magpie and then headed on a hike between the border of Virginia and West Virginia.


That evening, we headed to Sage Bird for happy hour. Since it was the weekend of July 31, Sage bird was also having a Harry Potter Themed weekend. Needless to say, I was the most excited about this. 
Frozen hard cider aka Butterbeer

By Monday, everyone had arrived. It had been two years exactly since I had last seen my brother's family. My nephews and niece have grown so much. I was so glad to be with them again but also was reminded constantly of how so much of the pandemic has felt like "lost time." Like I know I lived through it and I don't get to see my brother's family very often sans-pandemic. But kids grow like weeds and I am aware of how much I've missed because of covid. 

Anyway, highlights of the day included walking to get coffee, watching some Olympics (including the new sport of rock climbing, which is maybe one of my new favorites), going to the pool, chilling in the Baker's backyard and eating pizza larger than the twins. 

Tuesday was our last full day with every one (and the last day Leah didn't have to work a full day).  After our morning coffee walk, we hung out in the backyard until it was time to go hiking. (Unfortunately, Jeron wasn't able to join us because he had to work).
Afterwards, we went to Smiley's to get ice cream. (Is it even a Yoder vacation if we don't have ice cream?)
That evening, Mom had the idea that the siblings go out to dinner together since we're pretty sure we have never done that before and it was Levent and my 2 year wedding anniversary. So Aaron and Janice treated us to dinner at Jimmy Madison's, a whiskey bar/southern kitchen. My favorite part was that we got to eat on the roof. (Also, being all together. I loved every minute of it). And because it was vacation, we ended the night getting gelato.

We were there the perfect amount of time I think. But it was still really hard to leave, especially after Malakai told us he was feeling a little sad because we were leaving. And I cried a little bit at the airport. But overall, it was a great mini holiday and being with my whole family, chaos and all, was so good for the homesickness I've been struggling with a lot lately. I've already hated being so far away from all of my family, but covid has really highlighted this for me. But until the time comes when that changes, I will continue to make the most of the time we do have.


Comments