One more summer in Asheville

Shortly after I got back from Ohio, I turned around, repacked my suitcase and headed down to Asheville. Since my parents are planning on moving to Harrisonburg, Virginia, there was the potential for this to be the very last summer there. And summer in Asheville is magical, (which is why we got married there). 

Originally, the trip was supposed to be in July but then my parents got COVID. So we rescheduled and even though it was not ideal timing with it being so close after being in Columbus, I am so glad I went. Turns out, when my sister and I were at my parents' house, my parents put a deposit down on a house in a new development. So they are officially moving. ETA early next year. I would have really regretted not going especially with this new reality.

I feel a bit of grief that my parents are moving. Partly because I lived in Asheville, even if only for a temporary basis. But it was enough to make it feel like home. Now that my parents are moving, I am losing the last remains of my childhood home (even though I was an adult when I lived there). Does that make sense? I doubt it but grief doesn't always make sense. Ironically, Asheville was a hard place for me to be initially. I remember driving there for the first time for Thanksgiving during my senior year at Bluffton, google maps direction printed in my hand, lost because I couldn't find the turn off to my parents' new place. I missed Illinois and I could feel the days that were numbered at Bluffton slowly slipping away. That following summer though, Asheville, with the help of Roger and Sandy Miller, won me over with their farmer's markets (aka tailgates), local food culture, beautiful weather, stunning hikes and overall cool vibes. After I came back from South Africa, Asheville was a soft place to land while I figure out what to do next. 

In an alternative timeline, I would've worked harder to stay there. I honestly don't know why I didn't try and get a job waitressing. (I did apply a few places but it was still the recession and had a hard time hearing anything back). In that timeline, I would still be there. When I think this way, it's very easy to wish "what if," but I would've missed out on all the good things Kansas brought into my life, including my beloved partner Levent. "What ifs" are not helpful. But I do feel like I missed my chance to really live there (especially since everyone wants to live there now and the housing market is insane). I would've taken me awhile to thrive, but that's true most places. But I think I would've gotten there. It is, after all, a magical place.

But let's go back to my recent trip. The main goal was to hang out with my parents, sister and nephew for a few days and do all our favorite things. We went hiking (twice), ate a ton of ice cream, went out to eat downtown, drank all the coffee and even went to my favorite thing, Shakespeare in the park.

Asheville is a fun place to visit and we will always have that. My mom, sister and I talked about how we can always go on a trip here. And Levent reminded me of that too, especially since our friends Jason and Sarah and their girls live in the area. There might be summer moments in Asheville left in my life to explore and love. But for now, I am grateful for all the gifts Asheville has given me and for this trip I took there this summer.

Right after my fam picked me up from the airport, we headed to Ultimate Ice Cream. Of course. It's a prerequisite.  
Sunday morning, Mom, Leah, Malakai and I went to Vortex, of course.
Recreating an old photo

On Sunday afternoon, we went on a little hike down to Lower Big Hunger Falls. The hike was very short but we spent a long time hanging out by the falls and even playing in the very cold water. (I got in the nature water!)
After our afternoon in the forrest, we stopped and got sunshine sammies in Asheville. Sorry ultimate but this is now my favorite ice cream place. 
In the evening we headed to the Park to watch the Montford Park Players reform All's well that ends well

Monday was not as action packed as Sunday was. Leah and I went to Well Bred, a cafe in the Biltmore Village for Breakfast. Later, everyone (sans dad) ran a few errands around town, including stopping at the big farmer's market to buy some peaches. 

In the evening, we went out to eat at Buxton Hall BBQ. I ended up ordering a fried chicken sandwich that was out-of-control large. 
Afterwards, we ended up at French Broad Chocolate Lounge for ice cream. I had the most dreamy, creamy golden milk ice cream that was so good and a surprise to everyone.
The next day, Leah and Malakai had to head back to Virginia. After they hit the road, Mom and I went to City Bakery to have pastries and coffee. 
That afternoon, I convinced mom and dad that we should go on another hike. This time we went to the Pisgah National Forest. Looking Glass falls was on route to our hike destination. So we got out to take it in. It was fitting since this was the first waterfall my parents ever took me to in my early Asheville days.
Our real hike was to Moore's Cove falls. It wasn't a very heft waterfall but like a tall mountain shower. The sunshine caught the water and made everything sparkle. We ate our lunch here before heading back down to the car (and missing the thunder/lightening that maybe happened right after we left). 
On the way home, we stopped for ice cream (duh) at Mills River Creamery. 
On Wednesday, my last day, my flight didn't leave until the evening. So Mom and I went to get doughnuts from Hole and coffee from Summit Coffee.
Mom had an appointment in the afternoon. So I took myself downtown and went to Farewell Coffee downtown (in South Slope, which is where most of our food adventures took us this time around). 
Before taking me to the airport, mom and dad took me out for pizza at Harvest Pizza, which was also in south slope. 
And we got ice cream from Sunshine Summies to eat in the car (since it was pouring rain at this point).
It was a really fun trip. It won't be my last time there, since we're hopeful we'll be there at Christmastime. But if it was my last visit for whatever reason, it was a really good one.

Comments