Colorado Springs 2022

Last weekend, Levent and I headed over to Colorado Springs. This is something we started doing during COVID times. Now that it's a habit, it's hard to remember why we haven't always been doing this. It's "so close" (relatively speaking, in Kansas terms that is). It's been a fun escape and respite and something I look forward to every year. I love traveling with Levent.

Due to limited vacation days this time around, we decided to go to the Springs again since we only had time to do a long weekend. And hey I am not complaining. Colorado Springs is a good time. There's lots of good places to eat and good coffee to be had, (which you know is always a priority for me). There are lots of good and interesting trails nearby. Even just looking up at the skyline and seeing the mountains is a vacation in it of itself.

During our Colorado adventures, our main event is to hike. And look, I am not a natural hiker. I am really impacted by the altitude (and we are never in one place long enough for me to fully adjust). I also am not athletic at all, despite how much I try. But, despite huffing and puffing and taking a ton of breaks (so much that it takes us about twice as long to finish a trail than usual), getting to see the stunning views is always worth it.

This year, we did one big hike and two small ones. We did our big hike on our first full day (Saturday). We opted to try hiking up Raspberry Mountain. And we did it! I struggled, but I did it. I am thankful that I have such a patient partner who is always fine taking our times. The views at the top were incredible. Totally worth it.

On Sunday, we opted to do Mule Creek Trail, an easy trail that was more just a walk in the woods rather than up a mountain. (Since I struggled so much on Saturday we decided this would make more sense). There were no sweeping vistas, but there was a "bubblier" (a small, bubbling creek), and tons of aspens in their golden autumnal glory. We admired the foliage, ate some snacks and took our time. It was lovely. And since I was struggling with low energy, it was perfect.

On Monday, before we headed out of town, we decided to do a small hike around Palmar Park. It was mostly to give Tito a chance to run out of his energy before the car ride home.

Other than hiking, we spent our time chilling at our Airbnb and catching up with The Ring of Power (as well as the first hobbit movie). We got a lot of yummy takeout for dinner and just chilled. In the mornings, we would grab breakfast and coffee at a café. (Sunday and Monday we had breakfast at the same place, Switchback coffee, because their avocado toast is so good, it was quiet and had lots of street parking).

Our food choices this time around were White Pie Pizza, Caffeinated Cow, Josh & John's Ice cream, Streetcar 520, Switchback Coffee (twice!) and Westside Cantina.

The avocado toast was definitely the best thing we ate this trip

Overall, it was too quick of a trip (I wish we could've stayed longer!) But I am so glad we got the chance to go this fall. 

Comments