The gentle months

"Gentle January" is something I first heard about on Instagram. It is the opposite of trying to hustle that "new year, new me" energy for an entire month. Rather, it's about going slowly and being gentle and kind to yourself.

I am trying to think about January and February as the gentle months. This is the time of year where deep winter makes me go into a depressive state. I just want to be cozy and nap, which makes it sound nice, but imagine feeling like you have molasses in your blood stream. That's the first two months of the year for me, like clock work. I honestly hate this time of year. (Maybe not as much as deep summer, I am not sure. I think maybe I just hate extremes). But there are some highlights, even in these literal darkest moments.

1. Levent and I went to our annual trek up to Lawrence to go watch a KU game. It was a bummer of a game this year. (They lost by a lot). But it was still fun to be there in person.

2. I did a lot of slow, indoor activities like reading, taking naps, making card collages, baking, and even puzzling.

3. I went to KC with my friends Kate and Tina! There is an antique store in Kansas City called Bella Patina that is only open the first weekend of each month. The three of us had been trying to get there forever and in February, we finally made it happen. We got up early, spent a lovely late morning at the shop, had a delicious middle eastern lunch, grabbed coffee at a Latinx coffeehouse, and got some French pastries before finally heading home. It was a lovely day.

Lunch at Jerusalem Cafe
Café Corazon
French Market goodies in Prairie Village, Kansas
My antique haul


5. After having surgery in Dec, I started physical therapy and started swimming again. I also started back up at yoga at the Y. While I don't think my surgery did anything to relieve my chronic pain, it does feel good to get back into my pain management routine.

6. In February, Levent and I celebrated our 10 year dating anniversary. I know most people don't celebrate their dating anniversary after they get married, but since we've been together a long time, I like to mark it. This year, we went out to eat at First Mile Kitchen and have a lovely and delicious time. I am so grateful for my boo. I can't believe we've been together 10 years already.
7.  Another event that was a long time in coming was a Bosnian pita party at Karin Kaufman Wall's house. Karin and her husband John, served with MCC in Bosnia many moons ago. While they were there they learned to pita, which is a stuffed filo dough pie. Karin had mentioned wanting to have a pita party for us over the years and this year we finally made it happen. We got to help make the pita too, which was really fun. And it was so delicious. (We made a cheese, pita, a meat pita, a spinach pita and a potato pita). 

Overall, the gentle months have been restful with a scattering of fun activities throughout. I am hesitant to say that February is ever a good time, but I definitely made the most of it. Here's to the coming days of spring though. Cheers.

Comments