Moving to Columbus

Well, we did it. We officially left Kansas and now we have a brand new zip code in Ohio.


The move itself went really well. We actually packed and cleaned up the house a lot faster than we thought we would thanks to my parents' and Levent's brother Blake's help.

We packed up so quickly, in fact, that we decided to leave on Friday evening instead of Saturday and break the trip up into two days. Blake helped by driving the car but Levent was the only one driving the U-haul (without curse control) So I am glad we ultimately decided to do it in two. Plus, we had plenty of drugs for the pets to dose them two days instead of just one. It all worked out.

Pit stop in Missouri

Sleepy Tito
Made it to the city!

When we got to Columbus, Brendan came over and we all unloaded the truck - also pretty quickly. This meant that we were a full day ahead of schedule leaving us two full days to unpack together before I went back to work.
First family dinner together

Settling in has been a lot of work both physically and emotionally. We've both had a lot of ups and downs - missing home despite home being here now. We've been wiped out but it's also been nice putting together our little home in the basement apartment. 

Returning the truck
Poor Tito, all out of sorts
New work area (same old job though)


We've been in Columbus now for a week and a half and it's felt like a blur. Most things are overwhelming, although this week has been going better than last week. I still have moments of being very grumpy because things aren't feeling "normal yet." And every side quest that I had for that day gives me some form of anxiety still. Going to the grocery store? Check. Finding a new pharmacy? Check. Driving on the interstate? Check. (I think I was so stressed out that when I got home I ended up having a migraine). I am ready for everyday things not to feel like journeys to conquer. But we'll get there. 

In the meantime, Shirley, Wilbur, Blake and Brendan have been very generous with their time in helping us explore the city, figure out routine things, taking us out to eat, etc.  Moving to a place without a support system was not something I was overly interested in, and it has been invaluable.

On our first Sunday evening, we went with Wilbur and Shirley to Smith's farm market (where I bought a ton of veggies and we ate ice cream) before heading to a dog park.

I've been going on walks with Levent and also by myself in the morning. It is helping me feel more familiar with the new neighborhood.
We met up with B&B for happy hour our first week here

W&S took us out to eat for supper one night at East Market, a very cool food hall about a mile from our house. I can't wait to go back.

I love weekly family dinners! Something familiar and something to look forward to.

Exploring a new bakery (Three Bites)
We met up with B&B again for drinks and Nepali food last weekend at Antiques on High
Chili momos

Afterwards we stopped at Jeni's!

Baking in my new kitchen helps me feel centered

Overall, I am feel optimistic - that Levent and I will both adjust well here, that I will become a confident city driver (or at least more confident than I fee now), that running to the pharmacy will become commonplace, that this place will eventually become home.

Comments