Oklahoma and Winnipeg

 


*Moves to Columbus. Immediately leaves. Twice.

Even though we've technically been in Columbus a month, it does not feel like it. This is due, in part, to the fact that I have gone on two trips in the past month. I knew this going into our move, but I didn't realize how disrupting it would feel to trying to get settled here. Turns out it's hard to feel connected to a place when you literally are spending time elsewhere. Who knew. 

My first trip was Labor day weekend. I flew back to the prairie, (just the Oklahoma part of it this time), for my friend Kate's wedding! It was such a colorful and magical weekend!

Because it was a small wedding, there were events Friday night, Saturday morning and then the wedding and reception on Saturday night. Phew! Lots of small talk since I knew quite a few people there, but I made it through. It was also so great to hang out with my Kansas friends Karin and Tina too. (We stayed in an Airbnb together).

Mimosa Barb at the Bride's brunch
On Sunday after the wedding, Tina and Karin took me back to the airport via a cute little café in Oklahoma city called Stitch Café. (Their specialty was hand pies. So of course I had a sweet and a savory one). It was rough saying goodbye, but I am really glad I went.

Fast forward a few more days and I found myself on a plane to Winnipeg (via Minneapolis). The point of this trip was a work retreat with my Canadian team. Good thing I like them a whole bunch because the timing of this trip felt so terrible. I had a very hard time being present that week in Manitoba because I wanted to be back in Columbus settling in. Oh well. It was what it was.

Good thing that trip was actually very tasty. As an out-of-towner for this retreat, we are put up in a hotel in downtown Winnipeg. So the food options are great. There is a food hall there that I really like going to because they have a great coffee place (Fools and Horses) and a ramen place I really like (Saburo). I actually ended up eating at the ramen place twice because it so convenient and delicious. 



I also had THE BEST ICE CREAM I think I've ever had in my entire life. I am not even joking. It was called Fete ice cream and I had a honeycomb and a salted caramel crunch that was so incredible dreamy creamy. I can't believe I've been going to Winnipeg all this time and not going there every single day.

In work retreat news, we mostly just chilled honestly. We had one morning of meetings and then we spent the afternoon outside. The following day was more of the same except in the afternoon we went to this game place called Activate and played like VR games, expect in real life. (It's really hard to explain). I had my doubts about it, but it turned out being a really fun thing to do, even with colleagues.
September is actually a lovely time to go Winnipeg. It's nice and cool in the mornings and warm-ish in the afternoons. But I was so grateful to be home when that time finally came.

Comments