Spring walks

It all started with my feet and the idea that I needed to whip them into shape.

Let's back up. When Levent and I went to Japan in the spring of 2023, my feet had a rough time. My theory was that they hurt a lot because I don't wear shoes very much. For real. Ever since I started working from home, I am either barefoot or wearing slippers. Moreover, these days, my main form of exercise is yoga, which I do barefoot. My feet are not used to wearing shoes for hours and hours, let alone walking around for miles.

Before my Bolivia trip, Levent sparked the idea that maybe I should "get my feet in shape." So I started going on long walks. (And I think it did help me when I was standing out on a learning tour).

Turns out, these walks have been a very enjoyable way to explore the city too. Suddenly, these walks went from being a few miles to 9 at its longest. (I stop and takes breaks a lot). I don't know how long I will keep these weekend "big walks" up, but for now, I keep on keeping on, in the hopes that when I go to Turkey this summer, my feet (and I) will be in better shape.

On most of my big walks, I pick a destination (usually a café) and take the most pedestrian way there. (This isn't always easy or the most direct way because Columbus is notoriously a car-centric city. Although there is potential for this to change somewhat (at least there are city plans to head in that direction). Shrug emoji. Maybe it will happen).

My favorite activities on these walks is taking videos to make vlogs. I don't how sustainable this is (since I have to do this kind of thing for work and I am getting tired of it). But for now, it's been a fun motivator to keep walking.

Comments