April and May happenings

Dearly forgotten blog, Here we are again - trying to recap months of activities in a single post. But I refuse to abandon this blog completely. So it just is what is it.

Here are the highlights of April and May.

The Totality Eclipse: The Monday after we got back from my Grandma's funeral in Iowa just so happened to be when the totality eclipse was set to happen over central Ohio. It was thanks to Blake that we made time (and had a plan) to go up and see it. (We had to go about an hour north to see the full eclipse). We camped out at the Hardin County Fair grounds near Kenton, had a picnic lunch and watched the moon slowly eclipse the sun. I had never seen a full eclipse before and, let me tell you, it is a completely different experience than just seeing a partial. The world gets cool and dark (and we can take off our glasses and look at where the sun should be, only see see the moon covering it's place). It was very magical. I am really glad I got to experience this.  


Mom and Dad stopped into Columbus: The nice thing about being on route from Harrisonburg to Morton is that Mom and Dad make a pit stop to see us when they on their way to Illinois. One of these stops was at the end of April. We took them out to eat at a Asian fusion place I had been wanting to try (called Bendi's) and then we went to Franklin Park. It was a lovely spring evening and we explored parts of the park that I had not seen before. It was lovely. I love being able to see my family more often than when we lived in Kansas.

Farmers Markets!: The return of spring means the return of Farmer's markets. This year was my first time experiencing the Columbus markets. There is one down the road in Bexley that I go to on Thursdays and another one in Clintonville that I road the bus to one Saturday morning. I love supporting my local food scene.


Unexpected trip to Virginia for Mother's Day: When Mom and Dad were returning from their Iowa/Illinois trip, they once again stopped in Columbus for the night. However, this time, I decided, kind of last minute, to drive down with them, work in Virginia and then be with my mom for Mother's day before flying back to Columbus. (This felt important since it was Mom's first Mother's Day without her Mom). This was the first time I stayed at my parents house in Virginia and while I really miss their house in Asheville, it was good to get to know their new space. (For the second part of my trip I stayed with the Bakers). Mom and I went on coffee runs almost every day. I got to enjoy the rewards of Dad's gardening. Mom and I went to a farm to pick strawberries. (So fun!) Leah and I met up for drinks a few times, did Sunday morning yoga together and generally just hung out. On Mother's Day, we did our old school tradition of getting KFC chicken and eating it in the park. It was lovely.

Strawberry picking (round 2) and a Canadian Cousin comes to visit:
In May, Levent's cousin, Mariah, came down from Canada to visit (mostly Blake and Brendan, but we got to hang out a bit too). Blake, Brendan, Mariah and I  went strawberry picking (this time I got to keep what I picked) and sweated our faces off. (The Virginia strawberry picking experience was way cooler and shorter). But we wanted those plump berries; so we endured. Brendan and I had been planning to do this for awhile and I am so glad it worked out. Strawberry season is never long enough.

Other cousin activity included going with Aunt Judy, Shirley and Mariah to Trader Joes, having a picnic with Blake Brendan, Mariah and Levent (we went to the new Blacklick canopy walk which was pretty cool), The five of us also went out to get ice cream one evening followed by rooftop drinks. (Honestly, I don't think I am a roof top bar type of person, which was a sad realization. It was so unbelievably loud up there somehow. I've always been an old person but this is such a middle aged thing for me to admit). 
Levent's birthday cookout:  The end of May brings Levent's birthday - an event he could probably care less about honestly. But I make us do something because I want him to feel loved and appreciated. This year, we had a family cookout for him. (We actually held it the day after his birthday due to rain). We roasted hotdogs over a fire and generally just chilled. Pretty low key, just like my boo.
5 mile morning walks: With the coming of spring brought about the closing of my beloved neighborhood yoga studio, Danja. (I was so upset when I found out that I cried). I decided that instead of jumping into a new studio right away (the process of looking at different options was so overwhelming), I decided that I would just do a lot of early morning walks. Thus started my 6:30-8am morning walks where I walk 5 miles and truly not enjoy it. Lol. Actually, they've been nice, if not truly exhausting. The plan is to try and do these morning walks all summer, partly in prep for walking a lot in Turkey later, and then find a gym or studio when the weather starts getting colder/it starts getting dark in the mornings. 

And those are the highlights. My June highlights are coming soon, but since it's my birthday month, it gets it own post. :) 

Comments