The Asheville finale


In the late summer of 2008, my parents packed up our home in Illinois and moved to Asheville, North Carolina. It felt sudden at the time. 

And now, suddenly, they no longer live there. Just like that. 

I am so glad I was able to go to Asheville three times this year - once with Levent in February, once in June to a farewell preview and once this month for the finale. All that time there in 2022 feels like a gift. 

This fall, my parents put their house on the market and sold it immediately, within a week. So I booked what felt like an irrational ticket (because it was a quick turn around from our Colorado trip) and fulfilled a promise I made to my parents.  Whenever they were ready to move, I would come out there. We would spend our time packing and afterwards we would eat great food and hike. Okay so the hiking part of kind of irrational (or so I thought). But the idea was that I would come out there, be helpful and figure out how to say goodbye to this place that has meant so much to me over the years.

And we did just that - even the hiking somehow.

What wasn't on this list was feeling our feelings. I forgot about that part. But we did that too.

Since I blogged about a lot of my feelings about Asheville in my summer post, I don't know if there is too much left to be said. I know Asheville is not a perfect place. But the idea of it and all my dreamy visits have helped me remind me that I want something more than just this Kansas life. Kansas does not inspire me very much anymore. And I need that creative rush that comes from more hustle and bustle of a more populated place. I need pastry and coffee shops to explore and new restaurants to inspire my own baking adventures and stimulate my taste buds. I need a sweeping landscape to motive me to go outside and breath in fresh air. It's time for something new. Asheville reminded me of that, like a constant beacon in storm.

The good news is that Asheville is still there. And even though my parents don't live there anymore, doesn't mean I can't go visit. It is still there to inspire. And there are still more adventures to be had, both there and elsewhere.


---

Some notes about the trip:

We did actually pack and help Mom and Dad with a few things. We also helped them feast as we said goodbye to some of our favorite places. (South Slope for life!) 

On Friday, we got coffee from Farewell coffee and donuts from Vortex for our "break." Leah, Mom and I spent most of the late morning and afternoon helping mom get stuff ready to be sent off to this massive consignment sale. (Her neighbor was taking her stuff for them; we just had to get it ready). That evening we went to Harvest Pizzeria for supper, a walk at the bird sanctuary and dessert at Sunshine Sammies. 
On Saturday morning, Mom, Leah and I went and got coffee at Summit in the River Arts District before heading downtown to go to Minx, Mountain Merch and Moonlight Makers. (All our favorite downtown spots start with an M, I guess).

In the afternoon, we did some packing and then Leah and I went back to the South Slope to enjoy afternoon cocktails from Antidote, a bar we've always wanted to go to. (It is connected to The Chemist, which is a distillery that has the best gin). Antidote was some much needed sister time as well as a dark academic vibe that I loved.
Afterwards, we met the rest of the squad at Luella's for a BBQ supper and then to ultimate for ice cream.
Sunday morning we all headed to Early Girl Eatery downtown for breakfast before Leah and Malakai headed back to Virginia. Leah and I specifically wanted to go to this location because this was the place we had our first Asheville brunch and has since been a high standard of breakfast in our minds. We went nice and early so we didn't have to wait and it was delicious as we knew it would be. I also popped in at Trade and Lore to grab a late before we headed back to the house.
That afternoon, Dad, Mom and I went to bearwallow to hike and take in the view.
And I convinced Dad after we got back to go to Sunshine Sammies once again. That place is truly one of the best ice cream places I've ever been to.
On Monday, Mom and I went to City Bakery for a very busy breakfast pastry before heading back home. I did some work and helped them pack before a tearful goodbye and a flight back to Wichita.

Here is some proof that we did some packing instead of just feasting.
It was a good finale. I will cherish this place and the memory of this home for always.




Comments