Summer summary

Poor neglected blog. I still love you dearly. But with work being 100% computer based, my desire to open up a new tab to blogger and write is very minimal these days. And that's why we find ourselves at the end of summer with absolutely nothing to show for it on this blog. 

It's been a pretty sweet summer all around. This is thanks, in part, to the fact that we're moving. It made me more prone to ignore the heat and be grateful for my time left in Kansas. (And actually the heat wasn't as extreme as some years, which is always an A+ effort on the prairie's part).

Here are some of the summer highlights I missed writing about earlier

1. My friend Diana Miller stopped in Kansas for a brief visit.

My other friend Tina and I took the day off so we could hang out together like old times. And did we take a proper photo during our time together? Of course not. We spent the day eating great food (we went to Doo-Dah Diner, Leslie Coffee and Tanya's Soup Kitchen) and going to the art museum. It was delightful and fun to see her again.


2. Leah and Malakai came to visit - twice!

Originally the plan was for Leah and Malakai to come out a few days in June, before all of us headed up to Iowa for the Zehr family reunion. But then Leah was invited to a former student's high school graduation party in May and just decided to come out for that too! It was so great seeing her two months in a row.

On their May visit, we picked them up from the airport and had a late dinner at Ziggy's Pizza and ice cream at Frost (what would be our last time since it would later be struck by lightening later on in the summer). We went swimming at the Hesston pool and had sonic drinks. I was Leah's wing-woman at the graduation party, which just happened to be literally down the block from my house. Leah, Malakai and I had a Wichita day were we brunched at Homegrown, visited the dinosaur exhibit at the Botanical gardens, stopped in for a drink at Old Mill Tasty Shop and visited Watermark books. We also visited the Hesston Dyck Arboretum that evening to look at the turtles. 

Their second visit came just a few short weeks later in June. I picked them up from the airport in the morning and we went to Leslie Coffee, of course, for a coffee and a snack. Then headed, once again to Watermark books. We played games (some of which I had a very bad attitude for - sorry Malakai), including cornhole. We went to sonic and to the chilly goat, a shaved ice stand near our house. Leah and I had brunch at Elderslie Farm with Amy and Julie. We went to the Hesston pool again. Leah and I also had a girl's night out in Wichita where we went to the Belmont for drink sand apps and then George's French Bistro for dessert. So lovely. (Meanwhile, the boys walked to get pizza and played Age of Empires together. So cute).


3. We went to Iowa to see my Grandma at the Zehr family reunion.

Stretching like Dad on road trips on our way up to Iowa
Our car load was me, Heidi, Leah and Malakai. And since I was driving, I had us stop at the French Market outside of Kansas city for some yummy pastries.
Tying a comforter with Gram - her favorite activity!
My great Grandma Esther's recipe book that I got to take home with me. I can't wait to try and puzzle out some of these old school gems.

We went bowling one afternoon since our usual pool plan was scrapped due to rain
I told them to smile and this is what Gram did :) 

4. Blake and Brendan came on their annual 4th of July weekend visit

 For the past few years, Blake has come out to Kansas for the 4th of July holiday. This year, he (with Brendan now, of course) wanted to keep the tradition alive one more time. We were busy little bees during the few days they spent with us. We had a Wichita day - where we went to the Keeper of the Plains (since Brendan had never been there), the Wichita Art Museum, The Old Mill Tasty Shoppe for lunch and then went Axe throwing. We had a Hutchinson day, despite my protest that I never want to go to Hutch. (Ha). It ended up being really fun. We went to the Cosmosphere and it was pretty amazing, even though it was pretty text heavy. (I had never been there before). We stopped at a brewery before heading back home. Then we wrapped things up with a Newton day - we went to the Newton Et Cetera Shop and a local antique shop, packed up a few things B&B were taking back for us and went to the Chilly goat, a shaved ice stand. It was so fun having them in our Kansas space one last time.

Wichita day:

Hutchinson Day:
Newton Day:
Lots of spritz were had over the weekend


5. My cousins and I WENT AND SAW TAYLOR SWIFT in Kansas City! 

I had been very nervous about going to an stadium show but I am so glad we did! I feel super lucky that we were able to get tickets and then I felt even more lucky that I got to experience it with my cousins - Heidi, Hayden, April and Melissa and Jenna (who drove down from Ohio and Indiana!) It was a once and a lifetime opportunity (since who knows if I'll ever be able to get tickets again). Despite all my anxiety, I am so happy I got to experience this, especially with my cousin bestie, Heidi.


6. Levent and I went on a workcation to Colorado

7. We Barbenheimer-ed (although we did not see the movies back to back. We saw Oppenheimer one weekend and Barbie the next).

8. Levent and I celebrated our 4th wedding anniversary.

We went to Passage to India for supper, which was where we went on our first date. (This was after we did the adult date thing and took care of some business first aka we went to Carmax and sold my car). Afterwards, we got gelato from Cocoa Dulce.


9. Enjoyed what Kansas had to offer

Our Kansas summer edit ended on really good notes (although really sad since we were saying goodbye). Heidi and I had crust and crumb together on the front porch. I visited my friend Denise's house and got to meet (and briefly ride) her horse. We had lots of cousin dinners with Heidi and Hayden. I made almost all the things on my annual Summer Bucket List: treats edition. I had a lot of girls' night with my work colleagues. And I spend solo time in Wichita doing things I love like going to the Old Town Farmer's market.


10. We moved to Columbus! 

It was a pretty impactful summer, full of highs and lows, but one I won't forget any time soon.


Comments